Find the History in the Old Capital
Kyoto was the old capital in Japan since the 8th century, before Tokyo. Its nostalgic scenery with traditional atmosphere is something you can find only in Kyoto, as well as historic ryokans.Where to go
- Fushimi Inari-taisha shrine The arcade of endless vermillion gates "Torii" is one of the most famous view in Kyoto.
- Kinkakuji Temple The renowned golden temple in the Japanese garden has attracted millions of people for centuries.
- Kiyomizu-dera Temple Its wooden stage offers great scenery in each season such as cherry blossom in spring & fall folige.
- Sanjusangendo Hall Rebuilt in 13th century, this is also one of the most famous temple with its 1001 statues of Kannon.
- Zenrinji-temple, Eikan-do Located in Eastern Kyoto, Eikan-do is well-known for its beautiful fall folige illuminations.
- Kyoto Imperial Palace This is the former official residence of Japan's imperial family, known as "Gosho" in Japanese.
- Ryoanji-temple Rock garden The rock garden in Ryoanji is a symbol of not only Kyoto & Japaanese garden, but also Zen buddhism.
- Nijo castle This world heritage-listed castle is open for public with its 3 areas & surrounding Japanese garden.
- Nishiki market The long shopping arcade has hundreds of shops and restaurants to get Kyoto specialties.
- Cherry Blossoms Coming to Kyoto in spring? Cherry blossoms are the must-see with no doubt.
- Arashiyama Bamboo Grove Another symbolic view of Kyoto is the path among the soaring stalks of bamboo in Arashiyama.
- Fall Folige Find the best place for you to enjoy the colorful scenery, the symbol of Autumn in Japan.
- The Gion District, known as the entertainment and geisha quarter Gion is the most famous as geisha district, with a row of wooden and traditional buildings.
- Kaiseki Cuisine Kaiseki is traditional Japanese dinner of multi-course, for which Kyoto is well-known.
- The Riverbed (Kawakodo Dining) Must-see feature of summer in Kyoto. You can enjoy meals and drinks on a balcony by or on the river with the cool breeze.
"HIIRAGIYA was established in 1818, and has gained a requtation as one of the most beloved of Japan's traditional inns, or ryokan. Under the ownership of the same family for six generations, Hiiragiya has been host to internationally famous men and women-writers, artists, politicians, scientists, and members of the imperial family. Both Nobel Prize winning novelist, Yasunari Kawabata, and noted author, Junichiro Tanizaki, considered Hiiragiya to be their home away from home. Hiiragiya takes its name from a type of holly (hiiragi) that is believed to bring good fortune. You'll find the symbol of the holly leaf, its trademark, throughout the inn. It is a wish that it will bring you the good luck it has brought here over the years."See Details
The noted ryokan built in sukiya-zukuri style (the style of a tea-ceremony house) is surrounded by a quiet environment, despite in central Kyoto. Tea-ceremony on 7th & 17th every month.See Details
3Amayadorino Yado Ujo Soan
When it rains suddenly, you take shelter from rain. Someone kind lend you an umbrella, and sometimes you share an umbrella with someone… It is a nostalgic scenery. In busy days, there are something warm that you were forgetting. Japan has a culture of loving the rain since the distant past with many words. Tango is the town with tons of raining. The town where people can enjoy the rain and feel warm and nostalgic atmosphere of Japan. This ryokan is the place for adults. Spend some relaxing time like taking shelter from the rain at 1 of 5 villas with each different elegance.See Details
Miyamasou will offer the best ingredients and a comfortable environment that we hope will turn into good energy to our guests from both Japan and abroad who seek good cuisine and traditional Japanese lodging. In this haven away from the city, we will do our utmost to provide guests with gracious service that can only be experienced at Miyamasou.See Details
5Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto
"Authentic Japanese luxury in historic Kyoto Arashiyama. Set along the peaceful Hozu River, an authentic Japanese-style experience awaits at Suiran, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Kyoto. A harmonious blend of relaxing heaven and the modern conveniences of a vibrant city, the hotel is perfectly poised to offer access to some of Japan's most important national treasures. With an intimate collection of 39 guestrooms, including 6 specialty rooms, this retreat is inspired by traditional Japanese touches and culture offering a truly enriching and indigenous experience. For a locally inspired meal, the restaurant and comfortable cafe offer a variety of gourmet options."See Details
6Kyokoyado Yasaka Yutone
Within walking distance of many of Kyoto's most famous attractions, Kyokoyado Yasaka Yutone offers a cozy retreat in the center of Kyoto. It provides a quintessential ambience of Kyoto and authentic Kyoto Kaiseki meal using variety of locally grown, seasonal vegetables.See Details
Newly opened in April 2013! Suisen offers you "luxurious time in grand nature" and "great authentic food". Wishing to be "The beloved ryokan". 13-room quiet retreat.See Details
Rangetsu is located in a quiet neighborhood in Arashiyama of Kyoto, which area shows a variety of faces in each season. Have a relaxing stay away from the daily lives.See Details
"When you examine closely the culture of Shichu no Sankyo of Higashiyama, you will find that its primary purpose was to be a small mountain retreat for tired locals. The gentry of the capital at that time chose to enjoy this place for it's tranquil beauty, contrasted against the hectic life of the city. The origins of many tea related traditions of Japan, such as the wabicha style tea ceremony, and offering tea to the deceased can be found here. Facing the Yasaka Jinja shrine, completed by the Kodaiji temple from behind, Gion Hatanaka is the elegant and peaceful successor to the heritage of Higashiyama. It is an oasis of the mountains respite, nestled in the midst of a city. Standing silently and wordless, Gion Hatanaka hopes to show you the beauty of the Higashiyama people, which has lasted here unbroken since ancient times."See Details
Located on the Tango peninsula, Shorenkan Yoshinoya is an inn full of nostalgia. A place where you can enjoy beautiful countryside scenery, the taste of the fishermen's town resonating with the essence of Japan.Here the sea and the sky melt into an azure gradient meeting at the horizon spreading all around you with a white lighthouse overlooking the majestic Sea of Japan. This magnificent view of Tango Matsushima invites the hearts of all visitors.Take a swim in the ocean in the summers and enjoy Taiza crab in the winters, away from the bustling Tango town, throughout the four seasons at "Taiza hot-spring village". Let yourself relax at the hot spring which gently heals the tiredness of travelling.See Details
11Sumiya Kiho-an Ryokan
"- Unique experience, best destination to discover Japanese icons - Sumiya Kiho-an, located in the Yunohana spa resort only 20 minutes away from the center of Kyoto by train,offers you exceptional relaxation and unforgettable experiences in this hideaway surrounded by breathtaking nature."See Details
"Arashiyama Benkei was established in 1969 on the historical and scenic land known as Arashiyama. Thriving spring cherry blossoms, red autumn leaves blanketing the mountains, and cultural and historic landmarks give Arashiyama the distinction of being one of Japan's leading sightseeing destinations. Just upstream from (west of) the Togetsu-kyo Bridge, which marks the center of the area, and situated alongside the murmurs of the Oi River, is Arashiyama Benkei. This ryokan accommodations, built in the traditional sukiya-zukuri architecture style reminiscent of antique tea houses, is not simply a place to rest and eat, but also houses facilities in which guests can enjoy Arashiyama's onsen (hot springs) and indulge in traditional Kyoto cuisine. Please visit here to experience the utmost in comfort and relaxation."See Details
Seikoro was established in 1831. Its name means "castle beside the sunny Kamogawa river". Seikoro, the ryokan of the elegant annex, gives you a warm welcomes with the beautiful nature view of the Higashiyama area and the Kamogawa river.See Details
Motonago is in a quiet, nostalgic scene, completely apart from the hustle & bustle of the city. Once you step outside, you can sense the overflowing taste of Kyoto - Japan's old capital.See Details