"When you examine closely the culture of Shichu no Sankyo of Higashiyama, you will find that its primary purpose was to be a small mountain retreat for tired locals. The gentry of the capital at that time chose to enjoy this place for it's tranquil beauty, contrasted against the hectic life of the city. The origins of many tea related traditions of Japan, such as the wabicha style tea ceremony, and offering tea to the deceased can be found here. Facing the Yasaka Jinja shrine, completed by the Kodaiji temple from behind, Gion Hatanaka is the elegant and peaceful successor to the heritage of Higashiyama. It is an oasis of the mountains respite, nestled in the midst of a city. Standing silently and wordless, Gion Hatanaka hopes to show you the beauty of the Higashiyama people, which has lasted here unbroken since ancient times."
- Japanese-Style Deluxe with Wooden Bath Breakfast included Japanese futon bedding See Details
- From $601.40
for 2 guests /night
> Set search details above
to see availability
- VAT is included, but bathing tax (around JPY 150 per adult) may NOT be included.
- Price in USD is based on the exchange rate as of today and might be different from that of the booking date.
Kaiseki cuisine in traditional Kyoto-style
Gion Hatanaka offers traditional Kyoto-style kaiseki cuisine. Fresh seafood, seasonal foods, local vegetables "Kyo-yasai", and Japanese wagyu beef are carefully arranged in delicious and beautiful dishes. Enjoy the traditional and refined skills of chef and Japanese taste.
*Not available at this ryokan are vegetarian foods(no fish, no seafood), gluten-free foods, halal foods, and some other food arrangements which restrict basic flavors or ingredients. Also, please tell this ryokan beforehand if you have any food allergies.
Large Public Bath
Large public bath made of the best wood
One of the largest public bath in Kyoto, made of the best wood of umbrella pine. Bath with the same wood is also in every room so that it heals your body after the long journey.
*Baths at this ryokan are not natural hot spring which is geothermally heated.
The art of relaxing in the mountains
The trees, the stones here remain as if unchanged since eternity.
The water, the wind, tranform mourning into tranquility.
Here, the moutain will teach the body its ways.
Yasaka Shrine Minamimonmae, Gion, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto-city,Kyoto,605-0074,JAPAN
From JR Kyoto Statioin: 15min by taxi
From Keihan Shijo Station: 10min walk
From Hankyu Kawaramachi Station: 10min walk
From Kyoto-higashi IC Exit (Meishin Expressway): 15min by car
- Check-in Time
- From 2:00pm to 7:00pm
- Check-out Time
- Until 11:00am
- Tax / Service Charge
- Credit cards accepted at this property
- VISA / MASTER / JCB / AMEX / DINERS / DEBIT CARD
- All children are welcome. But please make sure to tell the ryokan about children beforehand. You might not be allowed to stay without a prior notice.
- Pets are NOT allowed.
- If you are traveling by car, please come to the front of the Ryokan, and we will gladly park it for you. The fee per night for parking is 3,000 yen.
- Other policies & conditions
- The entrance is closed at 12:00am (midnight).; Check-in is from 2:00pm and check-out is until 11:00am, while all services in guestrooms are available from 4:00pm to 10:00pm, and from 7:30am to 10:00am.; You can leave your luggage even before check-in and after check-out. Feel free to ask staff.; The final slot of dinner start time is 7:30pm. Please make sure to arrive by 7:00pm if you reserve dinner.